Sustainable Cities and Communities
Goal 11: Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
The world’s population is constantly increasing. To accommodate everyone, we need to build modern, sustainable cities. For all of us to survive and prosper, we need new, intelligent urban planning that creates safe, affordable and resilient cities with green and culturally inspiring living conditions.
- Safe and Affordable Housing
- Affordable and Sustainable Transport Systems
- Inclusive and Sustainable Urbanization
- Protect the World’s Cultural and Natural Heritage
- Reduce the Adverse Effects of Natural Disasters
- Reduce the Environmental Impact of Cities
- Provide Access to Safe and Inclusive Green and Public Spaces
- Strong National and Regional Development Planning
- Implement Policies for Inclusion, Resource Efficiency and Disaster Risk Reduction
- Support Least Developed Countries in Sustainable and Resilient Building
- Find a Goal 11 charity you want to support. Any donation, big or small, can make a difference! See the "Get Involved" section above.
- Support a project in slums for safe housing. You can volunteer in slums to help with building houses, fixing existing ones, setting up public or green spaces.
- Shop, eat and drink locally. Supporting neighbourhood businesses keeps people employed and circulates money back into your community.
- Take advantage of your right to elect the leaders in your local community.
- Commute in a sustainable way – bike, walk or take public transport. Save the car trips for when you’ve got a big group.
- Take care of public spaces. Start yourself and inspire others to contribute to better public spaces - water the greenery, trim and plant trees, renovate sports areas and playgrounds, organize a cleanup.
- Stay informed. Follow your local news and stay in touch with the Global Goals online or on social media at @TheGlobalGoals.