Goal 5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
Gender bias is undermining our social fabric and devalues all of us. It is not just a human rights issue; it is a tremendous waste of the world’s human potential. By denying women equal rights, we deny half the population a chance to live life at its fullest. Political, economic and social equality for women will benefit all the world’s citizens. Together we can eradicate prejudice and work for equal rights and respect for all.
- End Discrimination Against Women and Girls
- End All Violence Against and Exploitation of Women and Girls
- Eliminate Forced Marriages and Genital Mutilation
- Value Unpaid Care and Promote Shared Domestic Responsibilities
- Ensure Full Participation in Leadership and Decision-Making
- Universal Access to Reproductive Health and Rights
- Equal Rights to Economic Resources, Property Ownership and Financial Services
- Promote Empowerment of Women through Technology
- Adopt and Strengthen Policies and Enforceable Legislation for Gender Equality
- Women earn 10 to 30 per cent less than men for the same work. Pay inequality persists everywhere. Voice your support for equal pay for equal work.
- Find a Goal 5 charity you want to support. Any donation, big or small, can make a difference! See the "Get Involved" section above.
- Be aware of gender stereotypes. Recognize them, avoid them and educate others about them.
- Stand up against harassment. Whenever you see or become aware of harassment, whether in the workplace, streets, home or the online space, raise your voice against it.
- Find female mentors/leaders. Ensure that some of your role models or mentors are women. There’s a lot you can learn from women in positions of authority.
- Share the workload at home. Sharing domestic responsibilities ensures the work burden doesn’t fall only on one person and instills the value of gender equality and essential life skills in children.
- Stay informed. Follow your local news and stay in touch with the Global Goals online or on social media at @TheGlobalGoals.