Clean Water and Sanitation
Goal 6: Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
One in three people live without sanitation. This is causing unnecessary disease and death. Although huge strides have been made with access to clean drinking water, lack of sanitation is undermining these advances. If we provide affordable equipment and education in hygiene practices, we can stop this senseless suffering and loss of life.
- Safe and Affordable Drinking Water
- End Open Defecation and Provide Access to Sanitation and Hygiene
- Improve Water Quality, Wastewater Treatment and Safe Reuse
- Increase Water-Use Efficiency and Ensure Freshwater Supplies
- Implement Integrated Water Resources Management
- Protect and Restore Water-Related Ecosystems
- Expand Water and Sanitation Support to Developing Countries
- Support Local Engagement in Water and Sanitation Management
- Find a Goal 6 charity you want to support. Any donation, big or small, can make a difference! See the "Get Involved" section above.
- 4 billion people lack access to basic sanitation services. Lend your voice to talk about the lack of toilets in many communities around the world!
- Run a campaign on hygiene. Raise awareness about the hygiene issues in your community through social media, school/university campaign or even a campaign in the neighborhood you live in.
- Don't overuse water. Make sure to close a tap when washing dishes, take short showers - Bathtubs require gallons more water than a 5-10 minute shower. Consider getting a water meter to be aware of your water usage.
- Organize a clean up project for rivers and oceans. Engage your whole community to clean up a local river, seaside or an ocean.
- Stay informed. Follow your local news and stay in touch with the Global Goals online or on social media at @TheGlobalGoals.